Equine Veterinary Technician/Assistant
Our Equine Hospital is looking to hire a motivated Equine Veterinary Technician. We are looking for a candidate who has experience and good handling skills with horses, a strong work ethic, and will provide clinical support to veterinarians in the delivery of primary patient care. Veterinary technician experience is not required but helpful.
Required Education and Experience:
- Experience with horses essential.
- High school education
- One or more years of technical experience in veterinary medicine, or related field.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in veterinary technology, biomedical science, animal science, or a related area. Specialty training in anesthesia or related area.
Required Licenses, Certifications, or Registrations:
Preferred Licenses, Certifications, or Registrations:
Certification as a Licensed Veterinary Technician, Veterinary Technician Specialist (VTS) in Academy of Veterinary Technician Anesthetist (AVTA), or Academy of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Technicians (AVECCT), A.S. or B.S preferred.
Required Special Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills:
- Strong equine handling skills
- Routine cleaning of the practice
- Running routine in house blood work and preparing blood, fluid and tissue samples to be sent out to outside labs
- A good understanding of computers
- Taking of x-rays (holding the horse, holding the plate and acquiring radiographs)
- Assisting in holding horses in the bone scan room
- Assisting in prepping for procedures or surgeries, maintaining of a clean and safe surgery suite, cleaning up after the surgeries
- Ability to perform relatively heavy lifting in managing horses and other duties in our clinic
- Ability to running for daily lameness examinations.
- Ability to communicate effectively and positively at all levels with fellow technicians, veterinarians, and our clients
- Must be able to work within time constraints and in crisis situations
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others as part of a team
- Provide quality customer service to internal and external customers/clients
- General understanding of equipment used in a veterinary medical hospital preferred
Other Requirements or Other Factors:
Persons in this position are considered essential. The position requires working different shifts and participating in on-call coverage. Participates in emergency duty coverage. May be required to work alternate shifts, some overtime, holidays, weekends, or “on-call duty.”
Detailed Job Duties
Assists with in- and outpatient care and recording patient medical information. Assisting with and performing veterinary technical help in setting up horses for MRI, nuclear scintigraphy, radiography and ultrasonography. Assists with procedures common to a sport horse practice as well as inpatient care during day time and the night time and occasional weekend duty.
Assists in maintaining accurate and complete patient medical records. Ensures that all charges surgical and clinical services are captured and correctly entered into the hospital medical record system. Ensures that all controlled substances used are properly documented and accounted for.
Records or assists students in recording the patient’s physiological data and all medications given on in/outpatient and anesthesia records.
Is comfortable to perform technical support in the operating room and has an understanding of the surgical instruments and orthopedic equipment used in a sports medicine and surgery clinic.
Remains current with certification or licensure where appropriate.
Assists with maintaining a sanitary and well-organized service area. Restocks supplies, drugs, and solutions. Assists with cleaning and repackages items for sterilization specific to the service area.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Type: Full-time.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact Dr. Martin Vidal, BVSc, PhD, Dipl. ACVS, Dipl. ACVMR at [email protected]