A horse pre-purchase evaluation, or equine PPE, is an important step in the equine purchase process. Cave Creek Equine’s veterinarians provide a comprehensive equine health analysis for quine sellers and buyers alike.
Thinking of purchasing or selling a horse? As a seller, it’s important that you are aware of any health issues that may impact the sale. As a buyer, you are making a significant financial and emotional investment in buying a horse. That’s why getting an equine pre-purchase evaluation is an important part of the transaction.
An equine pre-purchase examination (PPE) is a specialized examination that looks closely at all facets of the horse. It helps identify problems, or potential problems, with the horse performing its intended function.
There is no set length of time as to when the buyer must schedule the pre-purchase exam. However, the terms of the pre-sale agreement usually dictate specifications of each individual sale.
Equine pre-purchase evaluations include a comprehensive exam.
Our equine PPE can be as simple as a thorough physical, lameness, and neurologic evaluation. We can also provide a more comprehensive examination, including any or all of the following diagnostic modalities:
- Radiographs – Checks for lameness.
- Ultrasound – Evaluates soft tissue structures.
- Drug testing and other blood work – Might include quantitative measures of inflammation in acute an onset of infection.
- Endoscopic evaluation of the upper and lower airways and the stomach – Ensuring the horse is in optimal shape.
- Bone scan – Detects issues with bone structure.
- MRI – Shows both bone and soft tissue structures.
A horse pre-purchase evaluation is worth the investment for both the buyer and the seller.
It’s well worth investing in an equine pre-purchase evaluation to ensure that you are aware of the condition of the horse and whether its health and mobility can fulfill your expectations for a happy, active, and healthy time together.